A soft gingerbread cookie with a topping of brown butter frosting perfect for the holiday season!
Cookie baking for the holiday season each year for me includes dozens of chocolate chip based cookies, cut-out sugar cookies decorated with festive royal icings, and spicy ginger and cinnamon flavored cookies. This Gingerbread cookie recipe today is the latter of the those favorite seasonal cookies, a soft molasses based cookie rolled in sugar, baked, and then topped with browned butter frosting, a most delectable icing that adds the perfect flavor to these not too sweet cookies.
This easy Gingerbread Cookie recipe begins with a butter and brown sugar base, is sweetened further with molasses, and then flavored with cinnamon, ginger, vanilla and nutmeg. A bit of dutch cocoa intensifies the flavors and helps bake the cookie a bit darker for a wonderful cookie that is delicious out of the oven and even better with the addition of the browned butter icing.
I topped the cookies with a sprinkling of mini gingerbread men that I found shopping on Amazon, just search for gingerbread sprinkles to locate some of your own. You don’t have to include the sprinkles of course, but I highly recommend the browned butter frosting- it’s soooo good!
Happy Holidays and Happy Baking!
Follow us on Instagram for more cookie recipe ideas and cookie photos. Tag us if you bake the cookies #countrycupboardcookies and find us @countrycupboardcookies on instagam.
- 4 ounces butter (1/2 cup) or 1 stick
- 3¾ ounces brown sugar (1/2 cup)
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 3 ounces molasses (1/4 cup) *I use Grandmas molasses
- 1 Tablespoon dutch cocoa
- 6¾ ounces unbleached flour (1½ cup) * I use King Arthur all purpose
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- *(additional ½ cup sugar to roll cookies in prior to baking)
- BROWNED BUTTER FROSTING
- 4 ounces butter ( ½ cup or one stick)
- 12 ounces powdered sugar (3 cups)
- 6 Tablespoon milk or light cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- Cream softened butter and brown sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Mix in molasses, dough may be a bit curdled looking, it's ok.
- Mix in dry ingredients including flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
- Chill dough 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop dough using an ice cream scoop or cookie scoop or use approximately 2 Tablespoons.
- Roll dough balls in white sugar and place on silpat baking sheet or cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or spray baking sheet lightly with a cooking spray.
- Bake 350 degrees for 14 minutes
- Cool cookies then frost with browned butter icing. Top with sprinkles as desired.
- FROSTING INSTRUCTIONS:
- Using a small saucepan, cook butter on medium low heat for 3 to 5 minutes until it starts to brown. The melted butter will foam and bubble, watch carefully for the browning on the bottom to occur.
- Then remove from heat, cool for about 5 minutes and pour over confectioner's sugar in a mixing bowl. Add milk and vanilla and beat until spreading consistency. Add more or less milk depending on how thick you want your frosting.