Chewy and colorful, these red and green M&M® cookies include
chunks of white chocolate for a festive Christmas cookie recipe!
I have a nostalgic feeling when I bake M&M cookies. When Country Cupboard Cookies began back in 1988 as a home based business, the first cookie recipe I developed was Chocolate Chip with m&m candies. I baked hundreds of these classic cookies, feeding them to my husband and his co-workers. I ate more than a few myself. As the years went by and we moved our small cottage business to a commercial site, we progressed to an internet cookie gift business and continued to bake chocolate chip M&M cookies along with many new cookie flavors. This particular recipe eventually became a featured cookie of the month that we baked seasonally and for special requests. I had our original chocolate chip M&M cookie in mind when I baked these White Chocolate Cookies with red & green M&M’s for the holiday baking season.
Although I have retired from the long hours of our cookie bakery, which we closed in 2015, I still enjoy baking a few times each week and I love sharing my cookie recipes on this blog! I’ve adapted many of our original bakery style recipes for the home baker, and this is one of them. You can mix the cookie dough using a small hand or stand mixer. This cookie recipe yields 28-30 large 2 ounce cookies. I like baking large bakery style cookies using a cookie or ice cream scoop but you can also use a large spoon and hand portion your cookie dough.
I used chunks of Callebaut white chocolate, which is a high quality chocolate, but you can also use white chocolate chips purchased in your grocery store. Another option is to buy a premium white chocolate bar and chop it by hand. Of course, any color M&M candies will work in this recipe, but the red and green available this time of year in December are so festive, especially with the white chocolate.
Wouldn’t a friend or family member enjoy a bag of homemade cookies during the holidays this year? You can purchase holiday festive paper bags like these at your local craft stores and online sources for gift bakery bags. I have used PaperMart online over the years, no minimum order and they ship fast. Another site I’ve used is Fancy Flours, an online store that has many products for home bakers. There are ETSY stores that offer cute bakery bags for gift giving. Have fun baking and sharing your homemade cookies! No cute gift bags around the house? Brown lunch bags work just as well, try lining the bag with a bit of parchment or waxed paper for freshness.
Happy Baking and Happy Holidays!
If you try this cookie recipe, I’d love to see any photos that you would like to share! Tag us #countrycupboardcookies and share on Instagram and/or comment below.
- 8 ounces unsalted butter (2 sticks), at room temperature for 20 minutes
- 7½ ounces packed light brown sugar (1 cup)
- 7 ounces granulated white sugar (1 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla
- 1 ounce rolled (old-fashioned) oats (1/4 cup)
- 14 ounces all purpose unbleached flour (3 cups plus 2 TBL)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces white chocolate chunks (approximately 1½ cups)
- 12 ounces m&m's (1 bag or approximately 2 cups)
- Cream together butter and sugars in mixing bowl, careful not to overbeat.
- Combine the eggs with vanilla and add to your mixture, mixing just to blend the egg with the sugars and butter.
- Add the rolled oats.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir in the white chocolate, using your hands to finish mixing in. Add the M&M candies and stir by hand to avoid breaking the M&M's.
- Portion 2 oz of dough with a cookie scoop ( ice cream scoop) for each cookie or you can use a ¼ cup measuring cup to estimate.
- Cover and Chill the dough balls one hour. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake 12 minutes. Let cool on tray until set, then enjoy!!