A double chocolate cookie baked with white chocolate chunks and slightly tart dried cherries, this cookie recipe is one of my favorites!
This wonderful chocolate cookie was the featured cookie every January back in the day when my husband and I operated a internet cookie gift business. “Back in the day” sounds so long ago, but it’s been just over a year since we closed our cookie bakery in June of 2015. I miss many things about the bakery, helping our customers find that perfect gift, our bakery staff, managing the shipping. We baked for our customers from 1988 to 2015. The time flew.
I’ve moved on to Grandparenting ( wonderful!!), baking at much smaller numbers and appreciating every morsel, writing on this blog, learning a bit about food photography, and house shopping for a small farmhouse or cottage type home in nearby Ligonier, Pennsylvania. Life is a journey for me and one of the things that has been constant for me is Baking.
These chocolate cookies are soft in texture and very moist. At first bite, you’ll taste the cocoa base as in any chocolate cookie. Next the white chocolate chunks round out the flavor with sweetness and creaminess. Finally, the slightly tart dried cherries provide the chewiness that really makes you take notice. I think the cookies are even better the second day after baking with a strong cup of coffee.
Give this chocolate cherry cookie recipe a try! It’s not difficult and mixes up easily. Tag us #countrycupboardcookies on Instagram with your cookie photo!
You can use dried cherries available at your favorite grocery store or specialty store. They come packaged in small bags, so no need to buy in bulk. I purchase mine online at Nuts Online , one of my favorite sources for fruits, nuts and candies for baking. These are tart Montmorency cherries, slightly sweetened, but you can try various dried cherries available to you.
- ½ cup butter (4 ounces or 2 sticks)
- ½ cup white granulated sugar (3½ ounces)
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar (1¾ ounces)
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 TBL milk (whole, 2% or skim)
- 1½ cup unbleached all purpose flour (6½ ounces)
- 3 TBL dutch cocoa
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup white chocolate chunks or you can use white chocolate chips (6 ounces)
- ½ cup dried cherries (4 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugars.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat until blended.
- Add cocoa, baking soda and salt to flour and stir together in separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to batter, alternating with milk.
- Mix in white chocolate chunks and dried cherries just until combined.
- Form cookies using a cookie scoop or large spoon.
- Bake 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes just until firm.