Bittersweet chocolate chunks, semi-sweet chocolate chips
& sea salt combine in this delicious chocolate chip cookie recipe
In the never ending quest for the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe, I’ve baked thousands. Yes, most of these cookies were baked in a commercial cookie bakery that I owned before I retired, but I baked all versions of whatever I could dream up and learn from other cookie bakers in my own kitchen too. My Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe is still my favorite, but this recipe with both semisweet chocolate chips and bittersweet chocolate is a close second.
Crispy edges, soft gooey chocolate centers, and pools of melting bittersweet chocolate on top of each cookie are the characteristics of these oh-so-good homemade cookies. The sea salt sprinkle to each cookie as it comes out of your oven is the perfect finish.
Bittersweet Chocolate Chunks
Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Butter Brown Sugar Sugar
Unbleached Flour Pure Vanilla
Baking Soda Baking powder Sea Salt
All the ingredients you need for a chocolate chip cookie that now has a place in my own recipe file. I hope you enjoy them and happy baking!
- 8 ounces unsalted butter (1 cup), at room temperature
- 10½ ounces packed light brown sugar (1½ cup)
- 3½ ounces granulated white sugar (1/2 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 TBL pure vanilla
- 1 ounce rolled (old-fashioned) oats (1/4 cup)
- 13 ounces unbleached flour (3 cups)
- 1¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (approximately 1 cup)
- 8 ounces Bittersweet Chocolate chunks (I used 2 (4 ounces each) Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate baking bars
- Sea Salt for sprinkling as you like
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream together butter and sugars in mixing bowl. Combine the eggs with vanilla and add to your mixture, mixing just to blend the egg with the sugars and butter.
- Add the rolled oats.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Stir in the chocolate chips using your hands to finish mixing in.
- Cut bittersweet chocolate (total 8 ounces) into chunks using sharp knife. You can use more or less depending on your taste for chocolate! Set aside approximately ¼ of the chocolate to use as topping. Add the chocolate chunks to your batter. I use my hands here to add the chocolate.
- Portion 2 oz of dough with a cookie scoop (ice cream scoop) for each cookie or you can use a ¼ cup measuring cup to estimate. Place on parchment lined or silpat lined cookie sheet.
- Top each cookie dough ball with 1 to 3 remaining chocolate chunks, just insert the chocolate chunks into the top of each cookie.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 11 to 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sea salt after taking out of the oven.
- Cool for 5 minutes on sheet, then remove to cooling rack. Enjoy!!
If you find your cookies are baking too brown for your taste, just lower the temperature on your oven to 360 degrees and bake a minute or two longer. It really depends on your oven.
You can also chill this dough prior to baking, this will make a thicker cookie, one that flattens out less.
Leave a Reply