Cowboy cookies are a favorite recipe that I baked on a regular basis shipping cookie gifts from my cookie shop a few years ago. Many versions of cowboy cookies exist, but they all begin with an oatmeal base and are then loaded with plenty of other tasty ingredients such as peanut butter, chocolate, candies, and nuts. We came up with this version of Cowgirl Cookies to give our customers some variety and also, all the bakers, shippers and customer service staff were women! We added dark chocolate, peanut butter, m&m candies, (dressed up here for spring with pastel colors ) and a favorite among our cookie makers, milk chocolate toffee!
I’ve reduced the large bakery batch for home baking and I baked a batch in my own kitchen this week with spring pastel m&m’s to celebrate warmer weather and more color coming to our Pennsylvania landscape soon! I love the results!
This is a versatile recipe, plenty of rolled oats for texture, creamy peanut butter for flavor, and plenty of add-in’s. You can have fun with the recipe; try using almond butter instead of peanut butter, use semi-sweet or white chocolate for the dark chocolate chips, use different colors for the m&m candies. It is kid friendly and they travel well if you want to take a bag along with you on your outdoor spring adventures!
Crispy edges, soft & chewy centers and lots of flavor throughout, this cookie recipe is one to try!
- 8 ounces unsalted butter (1 cup)
- 6 ounces white granulated sugar (2/3 cup)
- 6 ounces packed brown sugar (2/3 cup)
- 5 ounces peanut butter (1/2 cup)
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla
- 9 ounces unbleached all-purpose flour (2 cups)
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- sea salt for sprinkling on cookies after baking
- 4 ounces rolled oats (old fashioned, not quick oats) (1¼ cup)
- 4½ ounces dark chocolate chips (3/4 cup)
- 8 ounces milk chocolate toffee bits (1⅓ cups) * I use Heath toffee bits, one bag
- 4 ounces m&m candies (approx ½ cup)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream softened butter with white and brown sugar until well blended.
- Add peanut butter and blend.
- Add eggs and vanilla & mix into batter.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt and mix until incorporated.
- Stir in oatmeal just until blended.
- Add dark chocolate chips, toffee bits and m&m candies using a spatula or your hands to mix in.
- Portion cookies using a medium cookie scoop, place cookies on a silpat or parchment lined cookie sheet.
- You can add a few more m&m candies to each cookie by pressing into dough balls, optional
- Bake 11-12 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with sea salt for added flavor
- Allow to finish baking and cool on cookie sheet.
If you try this cookie recipe, I’d love to see any photos that you would like to share! Tag us @countrycupboardcookies on Instagram and use the hashtag #countrycupboardcookies